What is Vermiculite?
Properties of exfoliated vermiculite include; it is lightweight, chemically and biologically inert, Low thermal and electrical conductivity. What’s more it has good thermal insulation, it is odourless and has a high liquid absorption capacity
Exfoliated Vermiculite with the above properties is a hydrated magnesium aluminum silicate mineral which resembles mica in appearance. The mineral is formed by weathering or hydrothermal alteration of biotite or phlogopite. Vermiculite is mined using open cast mining techniques where the ore is screened and classified into five different particle sizes namely: Large, Medium, Fine, Superfine and Micron. Vermiculite undergoes significant expansion when heated. The mineral is expanding into worm-like strands. When expanded it drastically increases its volume and absorption ability. It is a silica mineral and is appropriate for use in agriculture, horticulture, construction and industrial sectors. Vermiculite is also an excellent material for fire-proofing and insulation. It is also suitable for use in insulation or as a moisture-retentive medium for growing plants
Dandy Solutions LTD is the leading wholesale supplier of vermiculite in Nairobi Kenya.
Call +254748246998 to place your order
Properties of Exfoliated Vermiculite
- Firstly, it is lightweight
- Secondly, it is chemically and biologically inert
- Thirdly, it has low thermal and electrical conductivity, good thermal insulation
- Fourthly, it is odourless and high liquid absorption capacity
- Non-combustible, low density
- Fusion temperature of 1260°C
- Lastly, it has good Aeration
Roots must have an adequate level of oxygen from the soil and aeration is the process that facilitates oxygen exchange.
- High cation exchange capacity (CEC)
CEC indicates the value of a soil to retain cation nutrients. The cation process captures available nutrients, ammonia (nitrogen ions), magnesium, potassium, and calcium for slow release
- Thermal ‘insulating’ properties
- Vermiculite has excellent insulation properties
- Neutral Carrier
Vermiculite is a registered animal feed carrier safe for use in pre-mixes in the animal feed industry.
Suitable for use in fire-proofing products
- High water retention capacity optimizing water efficiency
It enhances germination, root, and shoot development. Moreover, vermiculite continues to provide the benefits of moisture retention throughout the growth cycle.